Get to Know Soldier Canyon Filter Treatment Plant
Soldier Canyon Filter Plant, located at the base of Horsetooth Reservoir, treats and distributes water for three local entities: Fort Collins-Loveland Water District, North Weld County Water District and East Larimer County Water District.
Fort Collins-Loveland Water District (FCLWD) receives the majority of the water it provides to 45,000 people in parts of Fort Collins, Loveland, Timnath, Windsor and Larimer County from the Soldier Canyon Filter Plant. The plant has some of the highest quality water in the area, which is measured and reported on quarterly for the plant, and yearly for FCLWD.
Soldier Canyon Filter Plant Expansion
Soldier Canyon Water Treatment Authority recently broke ground on an expansion to the Soldier Canyon Filter Plant, a project that will allow Soldier Canyon to meet peak summer capacity demands without relying on any other plants. It will also improve water quality with the construction of additional taste and odor facilities.
In addition to new construction, updates and improvements are being made to existing systems and equipment at Soldier Canyon Filter Plant. This ensures that the plant as a whole is able to adapt to new operating standards and serve customers for the long-term.
The expansion is being constructed offline, meaning minimal impact to FCLWD customers. At the end of the project, slated for 2021, it will be connected to the existing facility.
Thank you to our partners:
Pictures of our progress:
- An aerial view of Soldier Canyon Filter Plant prior to construction.
- July 2019: The perforated underdrain pipe and drainage rock for the chlorine contact tank were installed. The non-perforated pipe for drainage to the new storm water pond was also installed.
- August 2019: Bulkheads and waterstop were constructed ahead of the slab pour.
- August 2019: The first phase of the soil nail wall shoring was completed.
- September 2019: Drilling for caissons for the Floc/Sed building began. Rebar cages for caissons were constructed.
- September 2019: Excavation for the ductbank installation continued. The first section of the ductbank was poured.
- October 2019: Two wall sections for the chlorine contact tank were placed.
- October 2019: Drilling of caissons for the flocculation and sedimentation building continued.
- October 2019: Excavation of the filter effluent vault began.
November 2019: Construction of the chlorine contact tank exterior walls is complete.
- November 2019: Filter effluent vault excavation and shoring is complete.
- November 2019: Fine grading and formwork for the flocculation and sedimentation building is underway.
- December 2019: Construction of the chlorine contact tank interior baffle walls is underway.
- December 2019: Fine grading and formwork for the flocculation and sedimentation building continued.
- December 2019: Layout and conduit installation began on the electrical room slab.