Get to Know Soldier Canyon Filter Treatment Plant
Soldier Canyon Filter Plant, located at the base of Horsetooth Reservoir, treats and distributes water for three local entities: Fort Collins-Loveland Water District, North Weld County Water District and East Larimer County Water District.
Fort Collins-Loveland Water District (FCLWD) receives the majority of the water it provides to 45,000 people in parts of Fort Collins, Loveland, Timnath, Windsor and Larimer County from the Soldier Canyon Filter Plant. The plant has some of the highest quality water in the area, which is measured and reported on quarterly for the plant, and yearly for FCLWD.
Soldier Canyon Filter Plant Expansion
Soldier Canyon Water Treatment Authority recently broke ground on an expansion to the Soldier Canyon Filter Plant, a project that will allow Soldier Canyon to meet peak summer capacity demands without relying on any other plants. It will also improve water quality with the construction of additional taste and odor facilities.
In addition to new construction, updates and improvements are being made to existing systems and equipment at Soldier Canyon Filter Plant. This ensures that the plant as a whole is able to adapt to new operating standards and serve customers for the long-term.
The expansion is being constructed offline, meaning minimal impact to FCLWD customers. At the end of the project, slated for 2021, it will be connected to the existing facility.
Thank you to our partners:
Pictures of our progress:
- An aerial view of Soldier Canyon Filter Plant prior to construction.
- July 2019: The perforated underdrain pipe and drainage rock for the chlorine contact tank were installed. The non-perforated pipe for drainage to the new storm water pond was also installed.
- August 2019: Bulkheads and waterstop were constructed ahead of the slab pour.
- August 2019: The first phase of the soil nail wall shoring was completed.
- September 2019: Drilling for caissons for the Floc/Sed building began. Rebar cages for caissons were constructed.
- September 2019: Excavation for the ductbank installation continued. The first section of the ductbank was poured.
- October 2019: Two wall sections for the chlorine contact tank were placed.
- October 2019: Drilling of caissons for the flocculation and sedimentation building continued.
- October 2019: Excavation of the filter effluent vault began.
November 2019: Construction of the chlorine contact tank exterior walls is complete.
- November 2019: Filter effluent vault excavation and shoring is complete.
- November 2019: Fine grading and formwork for the flocculation and sedimentation building is underway.
- December 2019: Construction of the chlorine contact tank interior baffle walls is underway.
- December 2019: Fine grading and formwork for the flocculation and sedimentation building continued.
- December 2019: Layout and conduit installation began on the electrical room slab.
- January 2020: Construction of the chlorine contact tank interior walls is complete.
- January 2020: Fine grading and formwork for the flocculation and sedimentation building is complete.
- February 2020: The concrete infill at the filter effluent vault was poured.
- February 2020: A protective waterstop cap was installed on the north side of the chlorine contact tank for future expansion.
- February 2020: Rebar installation began for the chlorine contact tank deck.
- March 2020: The filter effluent vault backfill was completed.
- March 2020: Construction of the flocculation and sedimentation building slab began.
- March 2020: The chlorine contact tank deck construction began.
- March 2020: The Horsetooth sleeve value replacement was completed.
- March 2020: Phase 1 of the 66” combined filter effluent pipeline was completed.
April 2020: Walls for the Floc/Sed/Chemical building were poured and raised.
April 2020: Decant Pont 1 was demoed and prepped for the upcoming shoring install.
- April 2020: Prep work was done in the Chlorine Contact Tank. After leak testing the structure will be backfilled.
- May 2020: The Chlorine Contact Tank began undergoing leak testing.
- May 2020: Excavation and construction began on Decant Pond 1.
- May 2020: Walls and support columns were placed for the Flocculation/Sedimentation/Chemical building.
- June 2020: Shoring for the elevated walkways in the flocculation and sedimentation basins continued.
- June 2020: The chlorine contact tank passed its volumetric leak test and was filled to the high-water elevation.
- June 2020: Additional slab sections for Decant Pond 1 were placed.